Monday, March 21, 2011

Mini spinach frittatas

So, the other day, I had a Brain Storm.
See, the InfoxicatedMan has recently started a job where he will be spending a fair bit of time away from home. Including overnights. And he gets up fairly early each morning, too - He has to be at work before 7, so he leaves home at around 6.
And that got me thinking. Normally, he makes a coffee and has that and a cigarette for breakfast. Morning tea, lunch and afternoon snack tend to be one-hand food, too. Last night, the request was made for chicken legs for lunch. (I baked them as I was making beef stroganoff.) I also thought to ask, what if I could find a recipe for a simple, nutritious, protein rich breakfast. Would he eat it?
So, I went looking. And found egg muffins.
But, being me, I thought I'd change it slightly.



  • 1 bunch fresh spinach
  • 4 large eggs
  • 150mL cream
  • 100g cottage cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
  2. Chop spinach roughly, removing the stalk
  3. Rinse well
  4. Wilt in heavy based pan with lid. Remove from pan, and allow to cool
  5. Beat cream until soft ribbons form
  6. Chop cooled spinach, and add to eggs. Mix thoroughly
  7. Stir in cottage cheese
  8. Fold in cream
  9. Cook in greased cupcake tins for approximately 15 minutes, or until no longer wobbly
  10. Allow to cool to room temp, and place in a container

These should freeze well, and are great to eat hot, cold, or room temp
I'm also thinking chorizo and semidried tomatoes, pear and blue cheese, and fennel and camembert.

No comments: