Friday, May 7, 2010

Cinnamon donut muffins

I've been craving donuts for a few days, so I figured I better either buy some, or cook some.
I opted for the latter, and got my favourite cookbook out - Google.
I came up with this recipe, which aren't quite donuts, but are quite delicious.
If you don't feel like link clicking, here's the recipe:


  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking power
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup sugar, for rolling
  1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
  2. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil
  3. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg
  5. Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine
  6. Pour in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract
  7. Divide batter evenly into 10 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full
  8. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean
  1. While muffins are baking, melt butter and pour remaining sugar into a small bowl
  2. When muffins are done, lightly brush the top of each with some melted butter, remove from the pan and roll in sugar
  3. Cool on a wire rack.

So, the verdict.
Next time, I make it with butter instead of vegetable oil. It requires that richness that butter gives, and the vegetable oil, while giving it moisture, didn't give it the richness it needs.
Also, I used cinnamon instead of nutmeg, which made them gorgeous. Bast and I discussed it earlier, and I have to agree, there is no such thing as too much cinnamon.
And the last thing. I used mini muffin pans. Perfect size for kids, or a mini muffin or two (donut hole?) with a mug of coffee.

No comments: